Wednesday, 2 March 2016

Micro exercises

For John especially:

When ever I think I am fat, unfit, generally flabby, ugly or really should get a grip of my life -
I do little exercises.
When I watch tv and see fat, unfit, generally flabby people I do exercises.
Instead of talking down to myself, I tell myself I can do something about it.
And I do.

What are the micro exercises?
Situps on the floor, in the sofa, in bed or sitting up in the chair.
Bending legs if standing.
One leg forward, arms up.
Contracting buttocks.
Lifting arms.
Rolling feet.
Lifting thighs off chair, sofa or bed.
Straighten the back and roll the shoulders.
Whatever makes any muscle warm and a little tired.

Note that I know nothing about physical exercises and you may need to read or talk to somebody about which exercises that are suitable for you and your physique.
All I know is that moving more is moving good. 
This is not instead of physical exercise. This is only for us lazy who do not do anything else.

I started doing ten of each exercise and now I am doing fifteen. Even if I have to pause, I have to do fifteen. If the muscles start burning, that is even better.
Or actually, I started doing one. The first one.
The hardest exercise is not the last, it is always and always going to be the first one.
The first one is usually the one that never gets done.

I have a friend who planks on the floor during all commercials. I do not know how long, but he does it (his wife told me) and that is the most important part.
I bend my knees (legs apart) and dip my bum when doing dishes. I try to do the same while brushing my teeth.
I do situps in bed and sofa (lift legs a little, lift upper body a little and bend, keep going without lowering feet or upper body back entirely. If back hurts, scotch around to find a comfortable position.)
I contract buttocks while waiting for something to load on the computer.
I do arm exercises, mostly with a little weight while reading or watching TV. After my injury last year, I got arm exercises to do from a physiotherapist. Instead of paying her to help me do them, I do them myself. Not only is my arm just about healed, I also have really good looking upper arms for the first time in ten years. It cost me nothing after the one visit to the physio to get the exercise right.
I lift and rotate my arm over my head while working. This was an advice I got when I broke my arm 1987 and always remembered, unfortunately not always doing.

The point of micro exercises is not that they are in any way a new way to get fitter. The point is to do them. Do ten of the exercises you know, do them several times a day, and do them every time you talk down to yourself.
You do not have to go anywhere. You do not need any equipment. You do not need to change. You do not get sweaty. There is no viable argument for not doing little exercises during the day. None at all.
You know that you can do one belly contraction. At least that I know that you know how to do.
So do it now. Now. And then keep going until ten.




And if you didn't - you really need to work on your mind control rather than your fitness routine.
How about now then?

2 comments:

  1. Why thank you m'dear for the explanation and yes it makes sense to use your 'micro exercises' as part of the daily routine. And

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I know very well how hard it is and we are all in it together supporting each other. We are all on the same side, never against (and can I just add that even twenty seconds of planking give muscle ache the day after?)

      Delete