Friday, 2 June 2017

FI35,32

I count my assets the first of every month and I have for a very long time.
This means I log on to all accounts and pension institutes and make a note of the current value in my notebook. Then I add it all up and divide it with my annual budget.
(I do not including the value of anywhere I live as I always need somewhere to live and not including the value of assets I do not control, such as pensions.)

I went into super-saving in 2009 when I thought I was about to lose my job.
I found that my annual budget could come down considerably and that my saving could go up.  There was no need to spend the left-overs of the month. I paid off my mortgage in 2010 and my student loans the same year.

I now live within an annual budget that is a quite normal income for most people and still have some room for further savings in it. The reason I talk only about my annual budget is that it it not always possible to stay within the monthly budget. Several months of the year, I live well below the monthly budget. Some months a lot of extra costs, annual fees and expenses, are paid and that has to come from money saved previous months. Together it is a safe annual budget. (The man has his own budget, we share expenses only, for different reasons.)

I did not forget to count my financial independence number (FI-number) yesterday - due to chock.
Currently my investments are doing really well. In 2009, my goal was to have 25 annual budgets in assets. The theory is that this enables a 4% SWR (safe withdrawal rate) which will regenerate the assets indefinitely. (Look it up, don't take my word for it.)
This month I had an FI-number of 35,32. That means that I can live 35 years without further income from my job (fingers crossed hoping that the coming cost increases is compensated by interests and dividends on the investments). It is very humbling and I am very very grateful to my past self for the hard work that has added up assets slowly over time until they by now grow themselves.

Now, to be fair: I own no property, no car and no wealth beyond these savings. I do have a nest and pension rights not included. I also have saved like an anti-social idiot through my entire life.
Still - it seems that if I continue to live frugally, I don't have to worry about losing my job again. (My boss does not know this.)

Do you count your money? It is a great encouragement towards saving. 

2 comments:

  1. I think there is no greater life skill than knowing how to live within your means and by that, I mean living below your means so savings can also be accumulated. Now, I am not a Super Saver like you, but I consider myself a Not Bad Saver. I live modestly, not frugally, and have managed to sock away a few bucks over the years, shall we say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the finest thing one can say about themselves: 'I live modestly and I have savings'. It shows great skills, good on you!

    ReplyDelete